Most garages come with a standard concrete floor but you can try alternative inexpensive garage flooring ideas. However, concrete floors are not the best for the garage. Concrete floors are dusty and not unattractive. If you want to finish your garage floor, it is advisable to complete your garage floor with other materials.
Painting the garage floor or installing epoxy flooring can transform the look of your floor. Other flooring methods for your garage floor include mats, tiles, and even carpeting. It is important to assess each of the flooring methods to determine the right method for your garage floor.
How to choose the best inexpensive garage flooring ideas
Use of the garage
It is important to determine the use of your garage before installing the floor. However, you use your garage will determine the right type of floor. If you want to use your garage floor as a gym, living area, kids playroom, or as a man cave, install a floor that is easy to clean.
Installing the epoxy floor or using tiles is the best for a garage where you will spend a lot of time. Epoxy and floor tiles are easy to clean, and you will reduce the amount of dust in your garage.
Think about how much you are willing to spend for garage flooring. Garage flooring can be expensive, but it can also be cheap, depending on the type of material you are planning to use. The cheapest garage flooring idea is to paint the garage floor or to use stain.
You can paint your garage floor or a stain on the floor without hiring someone to do it for you. Other garage flooring options like using porcelain tiles or epoxy flooring might be a little bit expensive.
Ease of installation
Apart from buying the flooring materials, you will be required to do the installation. For flooring options like using concrete stain, you can do it on your own.
You can also install interlocking tiles or peel to stick tiles in your garage without any help. However, you might need to hire professionals to install porcelain tiles that are difficult to install.
Durability cannot be ignored when it comes to garage flooring. The most durable type of garage flooring is epoxy because it can withstand the high traffic in the garage.
Porcelain tiles are also durable for the garage, and they can withstand high traffic. Concrete stain or paint, on the other hand, might not be as durable as epoxy, although it works well in the short term.
Keeping dust away from the garage is very important. It is advisable to install garage flooring that is easy to clean. In case you store tools or park your car in the garage, installing interlocking mats might be a good idea because they are easy to clean. You might also want to install epoxy flooring because it has a smooth finish, and it is also easy to clean.
Best floor ideas for your garage
1. Concrete garage floor stain
Concrete stain is great for the garage. It gives the garage floor a marbled look that you get from natural stone. If you already have a concrete floor in your garage, using concrete stain can help you to enhance the look of your floor. The stain is easy to install and gives your garage floor a beautiful look.
Concrete stain is made from a mixture of metallic salts, hydrochloric acid, and water. Due to the nature of the stain, it penetrates the concrete. You get a hard marbled floor that is durable and easy to clean. You can get a concrete stain in a variety of colors.
Pros of concrete garage floor stain
- Beautiful look – concrete stain gives your floor a beautiful look. You can get it a variety of colors. The best thing with concrete stain is the marbled look that it gives the concrete floor. If you have a concrete floor, the best way to bring some color is by using some stain. The look of stain is unique, and if you want to use the garage as a living space, you might want to use concrete stain to bring some color in the room.
- Affordable – if you want to transform your garage floor on a budget, it is advisable to use concrete stain. Buying a concrete stain is cheap, and the best thing is that you can install it on your own. The fact that concrete stain is affordable does not mean that it is cheap looking. It gives your floor a beautiful look, but it is one of the most affordable ways to change your garage floor.
- Easy to maintain – concrete staining is easy to maintain. When you use a concrete stain on your floor, it seals the floor and makes it smooth. It is easy to clean since the floor does not trap dust. The concrete floor does not fade, and you only need to add a new coat once in a while to restore the polished look.
- Durable – concrete stain is durable. It binds to the concrete floor and does not chip or fade. You will use the concrete floor for some years before the need to replace it or apply a second coat of stain.
Cons of concrete garage stain
- Not ideal for high traffic floors – if you are going to use your floor for high traffic, the concrete stain might not be ideal. It is not strong enough to withstand the tear and wear.
- It does not conceal imperfections – using the concrete floor does not conceal imperfections. In case your concrete floor already has cracks, it is advisable first to seal them because using the stain will enhance them.
2. Concrete garage floor sealer
Sealing your floor is a good way to protect your garage floor from stains and dust. The concrete sealer makes the floor non-porous, and you can protect it from any staining in the garage.
The sealer is a top protective cover that you use on the top of your floor to protect the floor.
You can get topical sealers that are placed on top of the floor to seal the floor. We also have penetrating sealers that penetrate into the concrete to form a bond.
Pros of concrete garage floor sealers
- Give your floor some color – If you are tired of the plain look of concrete, you might want to use concrete floor sealers. You can add some floor sealers to your garage to enhance the aesthetic of your garage. You can get floor sealers in a variety of colors to avoid the boring look of plain concrete. For decorative purposes, garage floor sealers are the best.
- Prevent growth of mold – Most of the garage owners complain about mold in the garage. The garage has high humidity, so it is not uncommon to find mold on the garage floor. If you want to prevent the growth of mold in your garage, using a garage sealer is a good option. Garage sealers prevent water from penetrating into your concrete. It is easy to dry out your garage when you have a concrete sealer. You do not have to worry about mold in the garage.
- Easy to clean -The greatest advantage of sealing your garage is to make it easy to clean. If you have a concrete floor in your garage, you know how difficult it can be to clean the floor. Concrete floor absorbs water making it difficult to clean. Sealing your floor can make it easy to clean. All you have to do is to wipe out the floor without much effort. Sealed concrete floors also do not absorb stains, and they are easy to wipe. You can clean your concrete floor fast and achieve a polished clean look.
- Durable – Sealed garage floors are quite durable. You can use them for a long time without the need to replace them. Unlike floor painting, sealing your floor is the way to go because the floor becomes non-porous. In case you are planning to park your car or do some heavy work in the garage, using a sealed garage floor is advisable. Sealed garage floors are durable and can withstand any tear and wear. Most of the sealed floors can go up to 30 years.
Cons of concrete garage floor sealers
- Slippery floor – sealing the floor might make your floor very slippery. Some of the sealed floors are high gloss, and this can make them slippery. You can add fine aggregate to make your garage floor less slippery.
- Chemicals – during the installation process, you need to be careful about the chemicals. Make sure that you wear the right protective gear when installing the sealer. If you have pets around, they might be affected by the chemical sealers during the installation process.
- Dull and fade – some concrete sealers might dull and fade after some time. You need to make sure that you do a reapplication after some time so that you can restore the original color of the sealers.
3. Epoxy garage flooring
Epoxy flooring is a favorite for many people. It is durable and easy to apply. You can get this type of flooring in made colors depending on your preference. When you buy epoxy, you get epoxy paint and hardener. You are required to mix the paint and hardener and apply it in under 2 hours so that it does not dry up. Epoxy is durable, and it is the best for garage floors where all the hard work is done.
Pros of epoxy garage flooring
- Beautiful – epoxy garage flooring has a beautiful look. It is available in a variety of colors, and the glossy look of epoxy makes the garage beautiful. You can choose different effects from the high gloss and even matt colors for the garage.
- Durable – compared to other garage floor sealers, epoxy flooring is quite durable. It is one of the sealers that can go for over ten years without the need for any repairs. When compared to other garage floor sealers, epoxy might seem expensive at first but is durable and affordable in the long run.
- Tough floor – you will love epoxy flooring because it is a tough floor. If you want to use the garage floor for activities such as storing your car and tools, using epoxy garage flooring is the best. It is resistant to stains from paint, and it is also resistant to bleach. It is a tough floor that can withstand all the heavy-duty tasks on the floor.
- Easy to clean – epoxy floors are easy to clean. Since the floor is resistant to stain, cleaning is quite easy. Epoxy floors are smooth, and this makes cleaning easy. Unlike concrete floors, epoxy floors do not absorb stains and are not affected by bleach. You can use mats in specific parts of the floor so that you can make cleaning easy.
Cons of epoxy garage flooring
- Slippery – epoxy floors are garage sealers, and they might be slippery. The high gloss epoxy floors can be very slippery, and you need to be careful when working on garage sealers. If you want to avoid epoxy floors from getting slippery, you can avoid the high gloss epoxy floors that tend to be slippery.
- Tedious application process – applying epoxy floors is a tedious process. It is possible to install epoxy flooring on your own, but you need to know that it is time-consuming. You will need to apply the first coat, and they wait for it to try before you can apply a second coat. It is a tedious process, but it is definitely worth it.
- Cost – compared to other garage sealers, epoxy garage sealing, is quite expensive. It might be expensive to install at first, but you will realize that it a cheaper way to seal your floor in the long run due to its durability.
4. Interlocking garage floor tiles
If you already have a concrete floor, it is easy to install garage floor tiles. These floor tiles are made from rubber, and they are the best for the garage floor. With interlocking garage floor tiles, you do not have any special tools since all you have to do to attach the parts to form an interlocking. They are the best floors for the garage because they withstand oil spills and other spills in the garage.
Pros of interlocking garage floor tiles
- Easy of install – interlocking garage floor tiles are easy to install. You do not need any special tools to install your garage floor tiles. Just as the names suggest, interlocking tiles lock together, making your job easier. Unlike other tiles that need adhesives, interlocking garage floor tiles do not need any tools to install.
- Floor décor – you can use interlocking garage floor tiles as floor décor. Interlocking garage tiles are available in a variety of colors and textures. It is possible to get interlocking garage floor tiles in a variety of colors and effects depending on how you want your garage to look.
- Warmth – interlocking garage floor tiles bring warmth in the garage. Most of the interlocking tiles are made using plastic that is not as cold as concrete. If you are going to use your garage space as a living space, it is only wise to make it warm. You can keep the garage warm by installing interlocking tiles into space.
- Can be reused – interlocking garage tiles can be reused. Since they are not stuck into the concrete floor using adhesive, you can remove them and use them in other areas of the home. In case you decide to move to another place, you can carry your garage floor tiles with you into space.
- Easy to clean – interlocking garage floor tiles are quite easy to install. It is easy to install the garage floor tiles in a dusty garage or in a space where you are likely to experience oil spills. Cleaning the garage floor will be easy because of the texture of the garage floor tiles.
Cons of interlocking garage floor tiles
- Poor quality tiles leak – when buying interlocking garage tiles, you need to watch out for tiles that are likely to leak. Since the interlocking tiles are not joined using adhesives, water is likely to leak into the concrete. Always consider looking for interlocking garage tiles.
- Some might be slippery – depending on the type of interlocking tiles that you are using. Interlocking tiles are likely to be slippery. However, it is possible to get garage floor tiles that are textured so that you reduce slippery.
- Level your floor – you might need to level your floor before you install interlocking garage floors. If your garage floor is not even, you might have problems installing the interlocking garage floors.
5. Turf carpeting garage floor
Carpeting your garage floor might not seem ideal. However, it is possible to carpet your garage floor, depending on how you are planning to use it. For many people, a garage is a place of storing tools and parking the car.
If you use your garage for parking your car, installing the normal carpet is not practical because it brings a lot of dust in the garage. You need to install turf carpeting that is easy to clean and does not hold a lot of dust, and it is easy to clean. Apart from the standard green color, you can get turf carpeting in other collars for your garage floor.
Pros of Turf carpeting garage floor
- Stain-resistant – one thing that you will love about turf carpeting is the stain resistance. If you use your garage for parking your garage and storing tools, you do not have to worry about staining. The turf carpet does not absorb any of the oil or chemical stains.
- Easy to clean – unlike the normal carpeting for the house, turf carpeting is easy to clean. You can use your vacuum or pressure clean to keep your turf carpeting clean. The best thing with turf carpeting is the fact that it dries up fast, and you do not have to schedule your cleaning sessions.
- Can withstand high traffic – turf carpeting can be able to withstand high traffic. You can park your car on top of the turf carpeting without any damage. Turf carpeting is made using strong PVC material that is not affected by high traffic, and it also does not trap dust.
- Choose any color – turf carpeting is available in a variety of colors. People only the standard green turf carpeting. However, you can get turf carpeting in other colors such as black and also grey.
- Easy to install – you do not need to hire someone to install turf carpeting in your garage. Installing turf carpeting is quite easy, and you can save on the installation expenses that you could have incurred.
Cons of turf carpeting for garage floor
- Not aesthetically appealing – installing turf carpeting is not the best way to decorate your garage. Turf carpeting might not have a very inviting and appealing look for the garage, but it still works. Turf carpeting works well for the garage, and it is quite practical.
- Might not be ideal for the whole garage – using turf carpeting for the entire garage might not be ideal. It is advisable to use it on specific parts of the garage, like under a car or on other areas where you store your tools. You can combine it with other flooring options like using tiles.
6. Peel and stick garage floor tiles
Peel and stick tiles are beautiful and easy to install. For people with concrete floors, these tiles add some personality to the floor. They are the easiest way to transform the look of your garage because you can find them in a variety of colors and designs. If you want to use your garage as an office, man cave, or an extra bedroom, installing peel and stick tiles brings some personality and makes space feel like a home. Most of the peel and stick garage floor tiles are made using vinyl, and that makes them quite durable.
Pros of Peel and stick garage floor tiles
- Affordable – peel and stick garage floor tiles are quite affordable. Compared to other types of tiles like porcelain or ceramic tile, these tiles are cost-effective. It is affordable to buy peel and stick garage floor tiles, and the best thing is that you do not have to hire someone to do the installation. The overall cost of buying and installing the tiles is quite affordable.
- Variety of colors – with peel and stick floor tiles, you get different colors and designs at a good cost. If you want to get a wooden effect, there are peel and stick floor tiles available in that design. It all comes down to the design that will match your garage aesthetics. Some of the popular designs or peel and stick floor tiles are the checker design.
- Ease of installation – installing peel and stick floor tiles is quite easy. It is also a relaxing procedure that will leave you feeling proud of your accomplishment. All you have to do is to first prepare your surface area by making sure that it is clean.
- Easy to clean – peel and stick floor tiles are easy to clean. They cover the concrete and have a smooth finish that makes it easy to wipe dust. Since most of these floor tiles are made using vinyl, they are easy to clean because the surface is resistant to stains.
Cons of peel and stick garage floor tiles
- Not very durable – peel and stick garage floor tiles are not very durable. Some of them are made with inferior quality vinyl that starts to peel after some time. It is advisable to check the quality of vinyl when buying peel and stick floor tiles.
- Problem with adhesive – peel and stick garage floor tiles are supposed to be easy to stick. Sticking the garage floors into concrete is supposed to be easy and automatic. However, some of the peel and stick garage floor tiles do not have firm adhesive. You might be required to buy some extra adhesive to stick them.
- Leakage – if you buy inferior quality tiles, you are likely to experience some leakage into the concrete. Make sure that you buy tiles that stick into the concrete so that you do not experience any water leakage into the concrete when cleaning.
7. Roll out vinyl garage flooring
Roll out vinyl garage floor is the best for your garage. It is easy to install, and the vinyl material is versatile. One thing that you will love about vinyl is the fact that it can withstand tear and wear. With a roll-out floor, you do not have to be an expert to install the floor. The roll-out vinyl sheets are specifically made for the garage, and you can be comfortable using them in your garage for a variety of uses.
Pros of roll out vinyl garage flooring
- Tough floor – vinyl roll-out sheets are quite durable. The thickness is meant to withstand all the heavy tasks that are done in the garage. When working in the garage, you need to make sure that the floor is strong enough to park your car and even store heavy tools. The grade of vinyl used for the garage roll-out floor sheets is quite strong.
- Easy to install – just like the name suggests, roll out vinyl flooring comes in the roll-out sheets. All you have to do is to roll out the sheets. By doing this, you will be able to install the floor in your garage. You do not need any tools or equipment to install the garage flooring.
- Stain-resistant – the vinyl garage floors are resistant to stains. If you get chemical spills in your garage, you will love vinyl flooring because it does not react to chemicals. The vinyl flooring is also for oil spills because it is stain resistant, and you can easily wipe out the dirt.
- Variety of patterns and colors – you can get vinyl garage flooring in a variety of patterns and colors. If you want to add some personality and color to the garage, the best way to go about it is to install a vinyl roll-out garage floor.
- Affordable – install roll-out vinyl floor is quite affordable. Vinyl is a relatively affordable material, and it is not as expensive as tiles and other types of covers. The fact that you can do the installation on your own means that it is also quite affordable.
8. Garage floor painting
Garage floor painting is an expensive way to change the look of your floor. If you have plain concrete in your garage, painting can be helpful in improving the way the floor looks. Painted concrete floors are also non-porous, and they are also easy to clean. When choosing garage floor paint, make sure that you choose one that is easy to paint and also durable.
Pros of garage floor painting
- Affordable – painting your garage floor is quite affordable. All you need to do is to buy some cans of paint and do the painting yourself. Buying paint is way cheaper than buying tiles or any other type of garage flooring.
- Aesthetics benefits – one thing that you love about garage painting is the look of the garage. It brings some color into the garage, and it is a good way to change the way your garage looks.
- Protect your floor – painting your garage is a good way to protect your garage. The paint offers a protective cover to the concrete. Using paint will make your garage floor non-porus, and it is the best way to prevent the growth of mold in the garage.
Cons of garage floor painting
- Not durable – painting your garage floor is not a permanent solution for your garage. You might be required to repaint your garage every year. Garage floor paint peels, and it is not the best way to protect your garage floor in the long term.
- Not the best quality outcome – painting your garage floor is a great way to improve the look of your garage. However, it is not the best when it comes to results. Your garage will not look as good as installing epoxy flooring in your garage.
Finishing your garage floor is a great way to increase the value of your home. You will also improve the aesthetics of your garage and make it more appealing. When you have a finished garage floor, cleaning also becomes easy.
Which one of these garage floor options is your best?