You can remove old oil stains from garage floor with home products and tools. You can use dish washing detergent, baking soda, and other products available at home. Concrete garage floors tend to absorb oil stains that can be difficult to clean.
Oil stains need to be removed immediately from your garage because they can damage the concrete floor. If you have epoxy or tiled garage flooring, you can still use the same methods to remove stains and give your floor a new look.
**Disclosure: This blog post might contain affiliate links. We earn some commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you**
Remove old oil stains from garage floor
1. Using dishwasher soap to remove oil from concrete floor
Using a dishwasher to remove oil looks simple, but it still works. Since dishwasher soap is used to remove oil from oily dishes, the same properties can apply in removing oil spills from the floor. Here are steps on using the dishwasher for oil stains from a garage floor:
- Spray the affected area with some dishwashing soap.
- Wait for 20 minutes and spray some water on top of the soap
- Use a brush to scrub and remove all the oil.
- Use a sponge to dry out the excess water and soap residue.
2. Using coke to remove oil from concrete
You have probably already heard that coke can remove all types of stains. It is no surprise that you can also use coke drink to remove oil from concrete. It works fine, and you do not need a lot of effort to scrub out the stain.
- Remove excess oil with paper or absorbent towels
- Pour coke on the stain and leave it overnight
- Soak and wipe out the excess coke from the area
- Clean the area with soapy water
3. Using cat litter to remove oil spills from garage floor
The absorbent nature of cat litter makes it ideal to remove old oil stains from garage floor. You need to use cat litter with detergent so that you can get the best results. Here are some tips on using cat litter to remove oil spills:
- Use a towel to wipe out as much oil as possible from the area.
- Spray some water on top of the stain
- Pour some cat litter on top of the stain and spray some more water
- Wait for a few hours and scope out the cat litter.
- You will realize that the cat litter has absorbed a lot of the oil
- Clean the area with soapy water and a sponge
- Dispose the cat litter away from kids and pets
4. Using baking soda to remove oil spill from a garage floor
Baking soda is a good cleaning agent around the home, and you can also use it to remove old oil stains from garage floor. Using baking soda makes it easy for the stain to come out easily. Baking soda is safe to use, and you do not have to worry about introducing chemicals into your garage space. Here are some steps on using baking soda for oil spills in the garage floor:
- Pour some baking soda on the stained area
- Spray some water on the tip of the baking soda until you start seeing bubbles.
- Use a brush to scrub the area.
- Wait for thirty minutes before cleaning out the baking soda.
- Clean out the area with dish soap, water, and a sponge
5. Using oven cleaner for oil spills on the concrete garage floor
An oven cleaner works just like dish wash soap to remove old oil stains from garage floor. Oven cleaners have the ability to remove all the grease from your oven, and they will help you to remove the oil spill stuck on the floor the same way. Here is how to remove oil spills from garage floor using oven cleaner:
- Spray the oven cleaner on the stain
- Spray some water on the stain to dilute the oven clean
- Use a brush to scrub the affected area
- Rinse the area with clean water and wipe with a sponge or towel.
6. Use a concrete degreaser cleaner.
Cleaning can be a bit tricky if you have a lot of stains on your garage floor. You need something that will remove the stains as fast as possible. Using a concrete cleaner will help you to get rid of all the stains. When buying a concrete cleaner, make sure that you choose one that is safe for the environment.
The OilEater concrete cleaner from amazon should not affect the concrete floor by making it porous. The concrete cleaner degreaser is safe for the environment and does not need any scrubbing. All you have to do is to apply it to the affected area and wait for the magic. After that, you can clean out the area.
7. Use WD-40 spray
WD-40 spray has many uses in the garage and can be used to remove old oil stains from garage floor. It is used in the lubrication of moving parts in the garage, but it can also be used for controlling garage dust. If you have some WD-40 spray in the garage, you can use it for removing stains. Spray it on the area with oil, and it will lift all the accumulated oil on the floor. Using WD-40 from amazon is affordable, and it will do the job effectively.
8. Use a pressure washer
Using a pressure washer can help you to remove old oil stains from garage floor. If you have oil on the garage floor and you want to clean it without any chemicals using a pressure washer and can be helpful. The pressure will help you to eliminate oil without any soap. Unfortunately, many homeowners might not have a pressure washer and may not be able to afford using this method to remove oil. However, you can get the services of a pressure washer company to remove oils.
Vinegar is one of the most common household cleaners and can be used to remove old oil stains from garage floor. You can use vinegar for cleaning oil spills from garage floors. The enzymes from vinegar are effective in removing oil from the floor. To use vinegar, spray white vinegar on the affected area of the floor. Wait for 10 minutes and brush the area with a nylon brush. Rinse the area with clean water and wipe with a sponge.
NOTE: When you want to remove old oil stains from garage floor, make sure that you do it the right way. If you use the garage with pets and kids, avoid using harsh ingredients. It is better to stay away from bleach and other harmful cleaners. If you want to avoid cleaning stains all the time, you can use garage floor mats.